Exports are zero rated taxwise to reduce costs for exporters and also make Ugandan products more competitive.
Anyone/Registered Company that has a product or service and has completed all requirements is eligible to export.
First and foremost the exporter is required to identify a licensed Customs and Freight Forwarding agent whose listing is provided in the directory to assist with the following;
- Obtaining Export permits and licenses.
- Obtaining a certificate of origin.
- Customs declaration and verification of goods.
- Planning transport contracts.
- Preparation of all necessary documents and payments.
The Export procedure by the agent and exporter is as follows;
1. Identify the operational export regime which include.
- EX1- Permanent Direct Exports: These are locally produced goods destined for foreign markets and are zero rated taxwise.i.e Coffee.
- EX2- Temporary Exports/Re exports: These are normally goods going out of the country for a duration but returning.ie Motor vehicles.
- EX3- Permanent/Re-exports: Normally personal effects.ie Furniture.
- EX4- Bonded Exports: (CPC8400)/ Re-exports (CPC8471) These are basically manufactured goods.
2. Capture a Single Administrative Document (SAD)
3. Present all necessary export documents and SAD to a Customs Verification Unit for confirmation of goods for export.
4. On verification the documents are lodged at the Customs Business Centre Exports desk for document processing.
- Certificate of Incorporation.
- Valid Export Certificate/Licenses and permits from Ministry of Trade,Tourism & Industry,this is however requested for on exportation of specific items like minerals,wildlife etc.
- Quality certification from relevant bodies ie, UCDA,UNBS etc.
- Certificate of Origin from Uganda National Chamber of Commerce and Industry for exports destined for countries outside COMESA.
- COMESA Certificate of Origin from Uganda Export Promotions Board for goods destined for COMESA countries.
- International Coffee Organisation Certificate of Origin from UCDA for coffee exports.
- Generalised Systems Preference (GSP) Form A for goods destined for the EU markets under the grants duty-free and quota free market access to goods from Uganda from the Uganda Exports Promotion Board.
- Phytosanitary certificate from Ministry of Agriculture,Animal Industry & Fisheries for agricultural produce.
- Packing list of goods/Tally sheet.
- Tax invoice if necessary.
- Health Certificate from Ministry of Agriculture,Animal Industry & Fisheries if exporting Meat and Fish products.
- Valid Lint Cotton Export regulations certificate from CDO for cotton exports.
- Fumigation certificate where necessary.
- Proof of payment of taxes where necessary, ie. Hides & Skins $0.25 per kg.
Fees vary on what is being exported depending on quality,quantity and documents required as follows;
- Precious stones incur 10% of export value.
- Industrial/Construction incurs 30,000 UGX per tonne.
- Granite incurs 10,000 UGX per tonne.
- Base Metals incur 5% of export value.
- Phyto-sanitary certificate fee - 2000 UGX
- Quality assurance certificate (Depends on export product being certified)
- Certificate of analysis (Depends on export product being certified)
- International Animal movement permit fee - 10,000 UGX per consignment.
- Dogs and Cats movement permit fee - 20,000 UGX
- General certificate of origin - 5000 UGX
- Preferential certificate of origin - 5000 UGX
Export Promotion Schemes
Uganda Revenue Authority
P.O. Box 7279 Kampala, Uganda.
Telephone: 0417 442054, 442055, 443150
Web portal: http://ura.go.ug
URA TOLL FREE HELPLINE: 0800117000
Uganda Export Promotion Board
5th Floor - Conrad Plaza, Plot 22 Entebbe Road
P.O. Box 5045, Kampala - Uganda
Eastern Private Sector Development Centre
Plot 60, Republic Street - Mbale
Tel: +256 (0)45 44 34892
Ankole Private Sector Promotion Centre
Old Bushenyi District Council Hall, Bushenyi
Tel: +256 (0)485 443276
Acholi Private Sector Dev’t Co. Ltd.
Mepaco Builidng - Market Street Rd. - Gulu
Tel: +256 (0)392 771667
WestNile Private Sector Development Centre
Plot 11 - 19 Packwach Road - Arua
Tel: +256 (0)476 449029